Food Scrap Recycling 101:
How to Fight Odor
The Best Ways to Collect Food Scraps
From Your Kitchen to Your Curbside Bin
Tips for Collecting
Food Scraps and Yard Waste
- Choose the right container for you.
– Upcycle an old coffee or yogurt
– Buy something new that has a
secure lid to minimize odors.
- Decide where to store your container:
– On the counter
– Under the sink
– Next to your garbage can
– In the fridge/freezer.
- Check your local program for whether to use a plastic or compostable bag.
- Keep food scraps in the fridge or freezer until collection day to help your outdoor bin stay cleaner.
Join the millions of Californians already recycling their food scraps to save our climate. It’s the biggest change to our trash since recycling started in the 80s.