Make Less Trash.
Californians throw away about a VW Bug’s weight in trash every year.
Tips to cut your trash footprint!
Infographic showing 9 ways to reduce trash and waste.
Organize Fridge – Reorganize fridge with older items in front to eat first!
Meal Prep – Plan meals to save money and stay healthy.
Reusable Metal Water Bottles – Refill a reusable water bottle! Use a home water filter and save hundreds of plastic bottles a year!
Reuse Tote Bags – Great for gifts and groceries and keeps plastic bags from harming animals in rivers and the ocean!
Reuse Food Containers – Glass and other reusable food containers keep your food organized and fresh! Cuts single use plastic!
Freeze Food – Freeze food before it spoils. Reheat another day!
Repair/Repurpose Clothes – Sew the holes in your clothing… fix them or make them into new items!
Repair Appliances – Learn to fix broken appliances together. Let’s change DIY to DIT and do it together!
Resell – Resell stuff once you’re done with it online (NextDoor, Facebook MarketPlace) or at a garage sale.
Donate – Give your used items to charity.
How to make even less trash
- Use body products in bar form (ex. hand soap, shampoo etc.) to minimize packaging.
- Reuse gift wrapping such as bows, gift bags and tissue paper.
- Use reusable cloth napkins and towels, instead of single-use, disposable products.
- Opt out of junk mail.
Out and about
- Shop the bulk section to reduce the amount of packaging you bring home.
- Find your local refill store.
- Skip the plastic produce bag.
- Bring your own mug to the coffee shop.
- Keep a utensil kit (including a straw!) in your bag for use when eating out.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers and bring your own utensils.
- Try to avoid printing if possible, but if you must, set your printer to automatically print double sided.
- Use refillable toner and pens.
- Start an upcycle center for used office supplies, equipment, and furniture.